Favorites

June 27, 2012

A letter to my daughters, when they are soon-brides :)

The only ways I can justify taking time to write during this extraordinarily busy week are by telling myself:

1) It's an act of worship to recall God's praises and remind myself of them, and writing helps me do that

2) This will help me remember what's important during a rather crazy day

3) Lord-willing, I will have daughters one day, and I want them to know what's important when you're a soon-bride planning a wedding. :)

Dear Girls,

It's a busy day planning my wedding to the hero man (if you read this one day, Lord-willing, your daddy!) Bridesmaid dresses and my gown are being decided upon, and I spent part of the morning planning budget details with my daddy. Meanwhile, work is busy, and there are lots of little pressures here, there, and everywhere.

I'll admit that this week has been a little bit overwhelming. But I'm also having a blast! And your daddy told me something last night that reminded me of truth and got me started remembering the things that are really important.

You see, your daddy reminded me of this last night:

"When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O Lord, held me up. In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul." 


About eight days ago your daddy and I decided that we're going to read through the Bible in these last 101 days before our wedding. That's a lot to read, but it's been so good! Sure, I've already fallen behind, but just "ingesting" large amounts of scripture has been so good for my soul. I can call it to mind, and discuss it with people, and so forth. 


Today, I was worried about something in particular and I remembered a verse that we read the other day. And I prayed that God would fulfill that promise for me, in my life and heart. 

And then I remembered: God's comforts can only delight our souls if we're dwelling in them. We have to abide in His promises if we expect them to keep us strong.

So then I remembered this passage of Scripture:

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.'"

Yes, there are many things on my mind and heart these days. But girls, I want to choose the good portion, the one thing necessary. And then, when you're grown up and soon-brides yourselves, if the Lord tarries that long, I'll be able to tell you stories of how the one thing was, by God's grace, a priority, and then all the other things just fell into place. 



Until that day,


-Your soon-mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment