Favorites

June 24, 2012

the soon-family

Tonight, I had a few quiet moments, and I was thinking about my hero man's family. They truly are, in a word, wonderful. I must shake my head in awe at times, just thinking about the way the Lord has blessed me.

So far as I know, scripture never says you have to marry a man with a wonderful Christian family. Yes, that man must be a Christ-follower, but I don't recall ever reading that his family has to be. So the fact that this soon-family of mine is full of God-chasers and soul-winners is perhaps the greatest blessing, next to my hero man, that I can imagine in the process.

As I pondered all this tonight, I was just compelled to sit down and write a few of the things I treasure about this soon-family of mine (Lord-willing, of course!). So here goes!

mr. soon-my-last-name too

The hero man's dad, no one could ask for a better soon-dad. I like to think of myself having a few small things in life organized, thanks to my spreadsheets. But any and all of those efforts pale in comparison to the mr.'s. And the best part of this is that all his organization of things isn't just for his own benefit. He's always serving somebody with something--some detail. 

This weekend was a perfect example. I was rambling about the moon and wondering what it would be like at our wedding. the Mr. quickly ran over to his office and grabbed a folder--ready to tell us what time the moon would be rising. All this, I'm guessing, because he knows the full moon schedule because he knows I love full moons.

The Mr. is one of the most kind, accepting people I know. I don't feel threatened or judged by him, and because of that, I respect him oh-so-much. Not to mention, he is the most interesting speaker our tiny little church congregation boasts. :)

Several times, already, I've caught myself almost calling him "dad." That should be proof of my love for him!


mrs. soon-my-last-name too

The hero man's mom is an incredible woman who I love so very much. Here are just a few reasons that come to mind quickly:

She is still madly in love with her husband, and it shows. I love how she'll lay her head on his shoulder in church, or cuddle with him while they're talking. She affirms her husband often and tells him she loves him like a schoolgirl with her first crush. She is determined and passionate in her vision. She is an absolutely wonderful grandmother and I can't wait for her to be a grandmother to my children, too, Lord-willing. She has been so kind during the wedding process, offering help and affirmation and never once making me feel stressed or pressured. I am incredibly grateful.

miss marplot: 

Oooh my marplot. We have already had oh so many adventures. I remember being intimidated by the marplot when we first started spending time together. But by now we've bonded and I don't even know why it happened so fast--but I think it's because of miss marplot's easy laugh. She's a bold adventurer and an ever eager learner (ah! The first road trip with the marplot, I remember her asking me what books I'd read recently, or what my favorites were, and hearing her and the hero man go back and forth about politics--'twas quite a drive. She is so smart!) Her love for learning inspires me, and while miss marplot can just be incredibly fun and crazy, she can also be serious and sober and kind and caring when the situation calls for it. I can't wait for more crazy girl time with her in the years ahead.

mr. truth-and-justice

Mr. truth-and-justice is the one I turn to when I have a question about pretty much anything amazing God has created. Even if we're not with him, there are definitely times when the hero man and I will be talking and we just can't help but wonder what mr. truth-and-justice would have to say about it. He so often inspires me with the joy and awe he brings to life. And then there's the truth and justice part. It's awesome to see someone not only so in awe of God's work, but so dedicated to making his own works those of truth and faithfulness through a disciplined joy.

the hero man

Well, I've reached the end of this post, and I'd be remiss not to say anything about my hero man, even though that wasn't the main focus. Let me just say: My hero man is not only the strongest, most manliest hero on earth, but he's also incredibly handsome and a proven comrade.

It's easy to just assume that the words I write about the hero man are words of blind love and romance. But I don't think they are. In fact, I write these words with more verity and weight because of things we've been through that haven't been easy.

You see, the hero man has seen depths of my sin and fear and failures that I'm sometimes afraid to even admit to myself. He's seen me angry, and mean, and frustrated; he's seen me exhausted and broken at the bedside of our dying family pillar. He's walked with me through situations that seemed challenging and held me through times when nothing seemed to make sense. And in all that, he has been strong. He has been a faithful lover. And he has shown me Christ in a way I couldn't fathom.

This weekend was a beautiful time for our relationship. Perhaps one of the most precious times was a long session spent Saturday morning, talking over big portions of scripture and lingering long over the Word. And I was reminded again and again that God has given us a beautiful vision to share; I couldn't be more grateful.

The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment