Last spring, I distinctly remember seeing creation as if for the first time. I loved its beauty in new ways because through these fingerprints of a Creator I could know tangibly His existence and it was good.
One of my favorite stories tells of a little boy of royal blood who was kidnapped in infancy. Living underground in a cave for those first early years of his life, this boy eventually makes it out into the sunshine, and discovers creation for the first time.
The dialogue that author Christoph von Schmid offers when this boy sees the world, as if for the very first time, is strikingly beautiful. Enjoy!
"But what beautiful flowers you have! . . . Oh! How nicely they are painted! What beautiful colours, red, and blue, and yellow! And so many leaves, so pretty and so delicate, and all cut just alike!"
"But of what stuff are they made? It is neither of paper, nor of silk! Is it you that have made all these flowers? . . . Many of them contain little threads so frail and so delicate. You must have had the use of very sharp scissors and excellent eyes."
". . . that beautiful lamp of gold up there . . . spreads it light all around us . . .And how does it happen that it is always mounting higher? When I saw it, for the first time, it seemed to be advancing from behind the trees, and it had soon risen so high that I should not have been able to reach it if I had been on top of the highest tree. How is it able to hold itself up in the air, and to move so freely? Who draws it up? And who is able to mount up so high, in order to renew the oil?"
*All quotations taken from p. 36 of Fire in the Sky, by Christoph von Schmid, published by Lamplighter Publishing.
No comments:
Post a Comment