Favorites

August 9, 2014

My hero

When my hubby proposed, he told me--amid my tears--that I needed a hero, and he wanted to be a hero for me.

Today I am grateful that he is still being a hero, being the kind of man who drives three hours to escort his wife home in the dark.

Before we even knew we had fallen in love, he walked me back to my campsite in the dark one night like a true gentleman.

The day he first professed his love, he told me in the dark that we should walk the long way, and sparked my interest in a man romantic enough to take the long way on our very first walk.

And now, two years into married life, he's still wooing my heart.

It had been a very long day, starting before lunch and ending late in the evening. Ezra and I braved nearly six hours of driving and a trip to the aquarium for my sister's birthday, but the day was long (ever try getting into the city on a Friday evening, only to find that the aquarium doesn't allow strollers and you'll have to carry your thirty pound toddler through it? Eek!)

With around 2 1/2 hours of driving ahead of us after the aquarium trip, my man met me halfway and sat and listened to my stories, unexpectedly brought me one of my favorite snacks, and drove his car home, me following in my own car, just so I would make it safely home and feel protected.

That's a hero, and that's the man I married. One of worth and love and more good qualities than I can name. And he continually shows me more and more what Christ is like. There was nothing for Aaron in giving up a rare, quiet evening to come drive the same roads home with me. There was only sacrifice, and a love that is compellingly attractive. A love that motivates me to love in response.

He's a hero--my hero--and his love is all the more heroic because it loudly proclaims to my heart the love of our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment