I was up in the middle of the night--and not too happy about it--but God was awake too, as He always is, working all things together for good.
My fingers idly checked my email again, and I opened one which spoke of the passover feast. And celebrating with eyes enlightened with the glorious hope of the gospel. And then I realized it was not too late. I had wished to host a messianic passover seder, but had not realized I still had time!
Before the day had begun in earnest in our home, I made my way to the grocery store, eager to investigate the cost of having such a meal. I had already spent over my grocery budget for the month, and the cost of this meal was what held me back. And what did I find? Almost everything I would need was cheap. Parsley - $1.29. Sparkling grape juice - $3 or 4. Raisins for haroset - $2.99. Matzo - on clearance for less than $2. Salt water - on hand at home. These might be excusable additions to an already overspent budget.
Oh, but the lamb. The one part of the meal that would be costly. As I pondered whether or not to approach my husband with the idea, the lamb was one of the reasons I held back and hesitated. And all these beautiful realizations came together in an afternoon--that the Lamb being costly was oh-so-true to the picture of Christ and His costliest sacrifice. And when I asked my husband, without any reference to the beauty of this costly part of the meal, his response was true to the same:
"The lamb . . . is worth the price."
And now, tomorrow's meal will be, Lord-willing, all the more precious for the realization. What a costly sacrifice, and what a glorious opportunity to remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment