Well, really I should have titled this post "maple-apple-butternut-squash granola," but who wants to think they're eating squash atop their yogurt or as their morning cereal?
Today I was making a recipe that called for a granola topping, but I didn't have any in the house.
One of the most enjoyable parts of being a wife at home with no car is that you must get creative. VERY creative. Over the course of the past couple of weeks, I've definitely tried plenty of recipes without ingredients they called for. But this time was different. I really wanted the granola in this recipe.
So I wanted to make granola but I really only had oats and maple syrup on hand and wasn't certain what else would work.
So this afternoon I was chopping a butternut squash and much to my surprise (you see, I have never made butternut anything before, but was inspired by my little sister's amazing kitchen skills), I found seeds! Butternut squash seeds!
Thus commenced a quick google search to see if indeed, it could be good enough to be true--yes, butternut seeds are indeed edible! And a source of protein! And ... if I remember correctly ... vitamin A! Woohoo!
Anyway, all this long post to say...here's a little recipe for the butternut-maple-apple granola. (Any suggestions on which permutation sounds yummier? "Butternut-maple-apple?" "Apple-maple-butternut?" "Maple-butternut-apple?" Something else? :)
Enough oats to cover your cookie sheet
Enough maple syrup to wet the oats just until they're moist
Less than 1/2 an apple
The seeds from a butternut squash
Olive oil
Salt
(Yes, I will never write cookbooks because I'm way to eager to stop and measure when an idea's floated into my head and is finding its way into my oven!)
Mix seeds and a small amount of olive oil and salt.
Roast butternut squash seeds in a 275 degree oven until crispy (this step I borrowed from here!). I think about 15 minutes or so should do.
Pour oats onto the squash seed cookie sheet (you can use a different one if you like, but who wants more dishes??)
Pour maple syrup over oats and seeds, stir.
Thinly slice an apple, as if you're making apple chips/dried apples.
Chop thin slices so you basically have thinly sliced and diced apple bits.
Add apples to oat/seed/maple mixture, stir again.
Place cookie sheet in oven and bake on 350 degree for approximately 30 minutes, or until crunchy, stirring part way through as necessary!**
While the granola is baking, stop, take a deep breath, and praise God that His blessings come in hidden-seed-provisions on days you're home alone. Praise Him--for this dominion-taking, home-making life we wives are called too is a beautiful, glorious thing, whereby we might image His creativity within the walls of our home. What wonder, that the Godhead's majesty and vastness and wisdom might be shadowed within bounded places.
**This recipe pending husband-validation. If he doesn't like it, I know I can manage with the healthy squash seeds and oats!
p.s. - Yes, I ought to post about the married life but I just want some very special, not entirely formulated posts about all of that. They will probably come, Lord-willing. But for now...enjoy the recipe!
No comments:
Post a Comment