Favorites

February 16, 2011

pilgrim thoughts

"But . . . " panted the weary traveler. Here his voice trailed off, as in despondence. His weak eyes brimmed with tears as he gazed upon the thorn strewn path before him.

As the traveler lifted his eyes to his Guide, he saw a look of tender compassion before him, prompting him to tell all.

"It only seems that all my life I've been hoping beyond hope. Knowing that I am worse than the greatest of sinners, yet desiring somehow, always banishing disbelief, striving for assurance still that Christ might save one so unworthy as myself. So many times I have cast my all on Him because I have no where else to turn. And yet all this time the unworthiness clouds my hope, making it seem a thing so unlikely, so profound, as to confound all human intellect."

The Guide just smiled, as He spoke words of eternal verity to the wayworn traveler, "How could you wish it any differently? This testimony of your soul bears witness to the trueness of thy faith. Never let it be otherwise, dear soul, for should you ever begin to feel your own worthiness a safe standing place, should you ever bank your eternity on anything other than the merits of Christ and his imputed righteousness, then should your faith be in vain. Take this feeling of your utter unworthiness as a sign and seal of the covenant--that Christ is to thee all."

No comments:

Post a Comment