So I guess a lot of girls spend these years of life collecting dishes or linens or all those other hopechest sort of things. And while I love the idea of a hope chest, I've just never put aside dishes and such "officially." Of course there are those few things here and there, the box of letters and journals for my future family, and all those sentimental things that a hopeless romantic couldn't live without.
But I'll tell you what I have collected for that family of mine:
BOOKS.
I've been doing some rearranging in the room lately, and it's occurred to me just how many books I've collected in the past six months or so since graduation.
I mean, it's easy to figure out that I've made a bit of a fetish for good books in my life--why else would I be working for a publishing company?
But if you saw the books in my room right now, you might wonder if my collecting is really forward thinking or just spur of the moment obsession.
I'm really not sure. You see, my shelves are now stocked with all of the childhood favorites--Winnie the Pooh and Beatrix Potter and Lyle, Lyle Crocodile. And oh my, it's gonna be good to read them to my kids.
But here's the dirty little secret:
These books will come and go. Already I've given away some for gifts. Others have been sold on ebay when I wanted money to buy . . . ::ahem:: more books. (ok, not always). But how do I part with them so easily?
the secret can be summed up in just one word:
Goodwill.
Despite my country-girl leanings, I'll never be able to live too far out in the country. Access to a Goodwill, I think, shall be a critical part of my life for forever. At least, as long as they keep selling kids books 3 for a dollar. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment